Monday 11 February 2008

Skeletal Rigging

Right, I think I have finished the rigging part. I have been using Alex's tutorials and the "Learning Maya 7" book.




For Cornelius, because he has to walk on all fours, I decided to do the arms IK as well as the legs. It isn't as good for posing as FK but should help me when he has to walk. I set up the reverse foot locks for both the feet and I have created finger bending controillers to bend the fingers more easily, following Alex's tutorials. His beard is an IK spline curve as I didn't want to have to move it all joint by joint. This way all I have to move is the vertices of the curve. I hope, once he is skinned to set up a jiggle deformer on the belly so I don't have to worry about rigging the belly up too much. The eyes have also been set up with a locator too.



For Pocahontas, her rig is quite similar to Cornelius', as she too has to walk on all fours. She has lots of splines curves in her hair. She has been rigged up with ik arms and legs, reverse foot locks, finger bending controls and an eye setup.

I am going to do the blend shapes next before I skin, hopefully that shouldn't take that long. I am hoping to have it all done by next week so I can start animating.

P.S.

I have posted up here this cartoon "Donald Duck and the Gorilla" (1945) for research. I know that Cornelius isn't going to be as ferocious as the gorilla in the cartoon but I like the cartoon a lot, it is superbly animated and it could help for gorilla acting.





No comments: